Calling all 2nd Engineers!
Perhaps you are a 3rd Engineer and recently qualified with your 2nd Engineer unlimited licence? Or perhaps you have had your licence for a while but looking to make the next step?
Viking Crew are actively recruiting for 2nd Engineers across a variety of our luxury cruise clients! Could you be one of our chosen candidates?
Our placement team have interviewed a cruise ship Chief Engineer, to find out what he would be looking for as part of his onboard team.
What certification would a 2nd Engineer need?
- A 2nd Engineer unlimited licence is required as a minimum, depending on seniority of the role, some companies may request a Chief Engineer unlimited licence.
- Up to date STCW certification
- Valid Seafarer medical
- Valid Passport and travel documents including relevant Visa’s.
- High Voltage certification
- Ideally Crowd Management and Crisis Management Human Behaviour certification
What Experience would you look for?
- 7-10 years maritime experience
- Deep Sea trade vessel experience
- Ideally passenger ship experience
What previous machinery and equipment experience would you look for?
- Medium or Slow speed Diesel Engine experience
- Diesel Electric Propulsion Systems experience (Motor or Azipod) and the associated automation systems that manage and control the many different systems.
What would some of my duties be as a 2nd Engineer onboard a luxury cruise ship?
- Watchkeeping duties – usually 10 hours on – 14 hours off
- Bunkering of fuel, lubricating oil and water.
- Management and Supervision work of team and contractors
- Troubleshooting of hydraulic, pneumatic, and electric automation systems
- Overseeing the operation, maintenance, and repairs of all machinery under his responsibility during that shift.
- Ordering and monitoring of spare parts assigned to his shift in cooperation with the Inventory Specialist and follow up on projects that are postponed due to missing spare parts.
What attributes do you look for in a 2nd Engineer?
- Safety Conscious
- Excellent communication skills and should be proactive in using “Closed Loop Communication” and “Thinking out Aloud” techniques!
- Ability to make decisions, often under pressure.
- A good problem solver and one who is prepared to involve the team.
- Hands on
If you are looking for your next opportunity, register with the team here