5 Brilliant Tips for Green Crew
Here at Viking Crew, our team is always ready to find the best job for you. Our expert recruiters have picked the 5 best tips to Green Crew to find a job.
1. When you register with Viking Crew, ensure you have a CV that stands out - but don’t over-do it!
• 2 pages is ideal, a clear and an easily readable font (we do not want to be squinting at our screen trying to decipher your CV), make sure it has a clear professional picture (Smile! Polo shirt or smart blouse/shirt)
• Contact details, nationality, date of birth, professional email address (pinkunicorn123@gmail is not!), your certification and relevant experience.
• Re-read your CV or ask a friend to check it over – there is nothing worse than typos and spelling mistakes! (attention to detail!)
2. Make sure any transferable SKILLS are clearly mentioned in your CV: have you worked in high-end hospitality or a Michelin star restaurant? Have you spent your holidays on the water teaching windsurfing, dinghy sailing or are you a keen kite surfer? Have you done an apprenticeship in carpentry? Have you helped your mum out in her beautiful flower shop or were you a finalist in the great bake off?
3. Interviews: Turn up on time (or even early). Wear a clean – ironed shirt/polo, the I-just-rolled-out -my-bed-look does not sell well. Make sure your hair is neat, you are clean-shaven, or your make up is light & natural and your nails are not too long. Don’t go too wild on perfume or aftershave and avoid having a good night out the night before. Smelling of passive smoke or alcohol is a no-no. Show you present well and be yourself! Be polite, don’t address the Captain as “mate” or the Chief Stew as “hun”.
4. Don’t boat hop around for a 50 EUR more / month. Get that first full season under your belt, gain experience, do a brilliant job, and make sure you get a glowing reference!
5. Be smart with your money – make sure you have a buffer for when that seasonal position is finished, and you need to find that next job - or maybe you want to travel a bit? Just don’t spend that well deserved charter tip in 1 night!
If you're interested in starting a career in this industry, check out the courses we offer at The Maritime Skills Academy.